Casinos & Etiquette
Best Online Blackjack Casinos
Proper Casino Etiquette
Blackjack is played almost exclusively in the casino, an artificial environment created for the sole purpose of separating players from their bankrolls. The information in this section describes that environment in detail to help players avoid some of the pitfalls and exploit the few incentives that casinos set out for them.
- The Casino
- If you've never been to a casino, or have not paid close attention, here's some basic information about the environment in which you'll be playing.
- Choosing a Table
- In most casinos, there are two dozen or so blackjack tables available. There are a few things to observe and consider before sitting down at one of them.
- From Stepping up to Cashing Out
- Aside from playing the game itself, there are a few transactions and communications you'll need to make to enter, play, and leave a table.
- Table Manners
- As in any social situation, there is an unwritten code of etiquette in blackjack: there are certain things you should do (or refrain from doing) at the table that are not part of the game or any explicit procedure.
- Distractions and Sucker Plays
- Since a skilled blackjack player can significantly reduce the house's profit, casinos provide an array of peripheral "opportunities" to lose.
- For every action that takes place at the table, there is a specific procedure. Though it's a mundane part of the business for casino employees, they can be interesting to the initiate.
- Fringe Benefits
- In order to retain valuable players, casinos offer complimentaries that range from free drinks to an all-expenses-paid return trip to the casino.
- Casino Cheats
- While cheating the player isn't a widespread practice, it does occur in some locations, so it's worthwhile to be aware of some of the techniques that may be used against a player.
- About Online Casinos
- Gambling at "virtual casinos" cannot be categorically recommended or discouraged. It's largely a matter of personal preference, but there are a number of reasons it should be approached with some trepidation.